Affordable Housing is low cost housing for sale or rent, to meet the needs of people who cannot afford accommodation through the open market.
There are several different types of affordable housing to suit different needs which are detailed in the table below.
Types of Affordable Housing
- Social Rented Housing
Social Rented Housing is housing provided by a Registered Social Landlord (RSL) such as a Housing Association or Local Authority that is offered for rent at Welsh Assembly Government Benchmark Rent levels. This is specifically aimed at lower income households.
- Intermediate Housing
Intermediate Housing includes both rental and home ownership. Intermediate housing also includes shared equity and shared ownership arrangements which are forms of low cost home ownership.
- ♦Intermediate Rented/Rental Housing
Intermediate Rented Housing is normally above social benchmark but below full market rental level.The maximum intermediate market rental shall be no more than 80% of Powys Average Open market/Private rent for the relevant property type, and shall not exceed the prevailing Local Housing Allowance (LHA) for the respective Broad Market Rental Area (BMRA).
- ♦Shared Equity Housing
Shared Equity Housing is where the applicant is offered the opportunity to purchase the property at a discounted rate, the amount of discount is treated as an interest free loan secured as a second charge on the property. The equity held by the Housing Association is effectively and interest free loan repayable on the sale of the property or the stair casing to 100% ownership.
- ♦Shared Ownership Housing
This form of tenure occurs where the occupant and (usually) a RSL share ownership of the property. The occupant owns a % of the property and the remainder is owned by the RSL. The occupant pays a rent to the RSL for the proportion of the property the applicant does not own.
- ♦Affordable Housing for Sale
The sale price of Affordable housing for sale must reflect local incomes. The affordable sale price calculation is based on local income levels, local house prices, and a mortgage multiplier of x 3.5. The deposit level will vary depending on average deposit levels in Powys. Affordable homes for sale must currently be discounted by 31% of their full open market value.
- ♦Intermediate Rented/Rental Housing
How do I know if I'm eligible for affordable housing?
Initial and successive occupiers must demonstrate that:
1. They have lived in the local community for at least 3 consecutive years or were born and brought up in the community; or
2. They are existing residents who require separate accommodation within the local community, such as newly married couples; or
3. They are already principally employed in the community; or
4. They have an offer of employment in the area but cannot take up the offer because of a lack of affordable accommodation; or
5. They wish to move into the community in order to look after an infirm or elderly relative or to be looked after by a relative already resident in the community
6. Both initial and subsequent occupiers shall not already mortgage or own a residential property and shall have not recently sold a property unless the Council is satisfied that the occupier has an exceptional need for the affordable home
Those who wish to access Affordable Housing must evidence their need and eligibility and can do so by completing an Eligibility Questionnaire.
How do I build my own affordable home?
Powys County Council is committed to encouraging and enabling the provision of affordable housing through the planning system.
For further information on developing affordable housing or building your own affordable home, please see the Council's Affordable Housing Supplementary Planning Guidance (SPG) .
For pre-application planning advice, please contact:
Brecknockshire Montgomeryshire Radnorshire
Planning Services Planning Services Planning Services
Neuadd Brycheiniog Neuadd Maldwyn The Gwalia
Cambrian Way Severn Road Ithon Road
Brecon Welshpool Llandrindod Wells
LD3 7HR SY21 7AS LD1 6AA
Tel: 01874 624141 Tel: 01938 552828 Tel: 01597 823737
Fax: 01874 612339 Fax: 01938 551348 Fax: 01597 827178
email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
The Council's Affordable Housing Officer should also be consulted:
Affordable Housing Officer
Tel: 07775 817295
Affordable Homes for Sale/Rent
If you have an affordable home for sale or rent, please send the particulars in pdf format to firstname.lastname@example.org